[access-uk] Re: Jaws Reading problems

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 16:01:08 +0100

Hi Barry.  Although I'm a Window-Eyes user, always have been, I'm not going
to try and sell it to you, smile.  there's no money in that for me, and I
try, limitations of personal knowledge permitting, to be even handed in
these things.

W-Ewill support pretty well all the MS Office apps you are likely to use
with version 6 due some time soon.  There is no doubt that W-E is less
flexible in the field of automation of tasks in programs that are much less
screen reader friendly out of the box.  Having said this, some W-E users are
having considerable success with Autohotkey, a free, and pretty
sophisticated macro program, which presently, is listed on GW's support
pages.

In any case, I'd say that much of the flexibleness offered by JFW often
comes at a considerable price in buying in scripts that take full advantage
of the way out it offers to people who must work with programs that aren't
written the way maybe they should be written in the first place.  Don't want
to pursue that argument here though.

Returning to GW, just two things.

1.  Its easier to buy Window-Eyes now.  The spread payments plan whereby W-E
works fully for a nonth until you pay the next instalment is available to UK
users, easing the financial burden.

2.  You will have to get used to different ways of working.  The mouse keys
in Window-Eyes are the closest thing I believe to the JAWS cursor, and many
W-E users are pretty content to use these it seems to me, more than many
typical JAWS users are prepared to use all the facilities offered by the
JAWS cursor.  This is all part of the different ways in wich W-E and JFW
users become used to using their programs and screen readers.

Don't forget too Barry, the changing of keystrokes in W-E is a good deal
easier than in JFW.  GW micro too is offering a JAWS keyboard layout option
which is downloadable now and will become an integral part of W-E 6.

I'd only end by saying Barry, that its my impression that if you do decide
to stick with JAWS you had better upgrade.  Its often seemed to me the
penalty you pay for not keeping current is very high with JAWS.  GW does
offer a pretty competitive SMA for what that's worth.

Hope that's been of some help.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx