[access-uk] Re: Google tool bar

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 11:14:19 +0100

 john coley <johncoley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan, she's already said she doesn't want either the location thing
> or the toolbar. She's not obliged to keep it. It's called preference.

Quite - which is why I explained that she hasn't got the toolbar, and
the options available to her, which is either to set a correct
location, or let Google guess.

So as it says on the Google help page I linked to...

Can I turn off location-based customization?

The customization of search results based on location is an important
component of a consistent, high-quality search experience. Therefore,
we haven't provided a way to turn off location customization, although
we've made it easy for you to set your own location or to customize
using a general location as broad as the country that matches your
local domain.

If you find that your results for a particular search are more local
than what you're looking for, you can set your location to a broader
geographical area (such as a country instead of a city, zip code, or
street address). Please note that this will greatly reduce the amount
of locally relevant results that you’ll see.