[access-uk] Re: Does the digital age spell the end of Braille? - News - Gadgets and Tech - The Independent

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 13:40:00 +0000

Hello all,

I was taught grade 1 Braille in our Infants' class, then went on to grade 2. In
primary school we were taught when to use capital letters, and though I didn't
read many American books (braille with caps), that theory largely stuck: Proper
names (names of towns, people, days of the week, months and so on), at the
start of sentences, in titles (British Broadcasting Corporation), etc. I think
spelling was rarely a problem for me, despite the fact that I was reading in
grade 2 braille. But then maybe I'm just weird and should have got out more. We
were given spelling books when I was about eight, and I used to read the notes
for teachers too: I can still remember a little of what they were like: "The
phonic work in these exercises will enable you to develop the child's
knowledge..." and all that jazz, italicised to boot!

So, although the use of grade 2 may hamper the ability to spell, that's not a
given. I suppose I was just lucky.

Best,
Clive

Clive Lever