[access-uk] Re: Creating folders on i devices

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 23:09:24 +0100

Steve,

I can only tell you about IPods and phones and not about any other Mac devices
but, if that's what you need, I learned this last night and have put it to good
use as I've sorted my apps and put lots into folders.

Here's some instructions, if they're what you need.  If not, sorry, and please
hit DEL.

First, if you haven't done this before you may want to do it in various steps.

To move an app you double tap, holding your finger down on the second tap until
you hear VO announce "Moving ..."  You then proceed to move that app around the
screen.  If it lands on another, you'll be told and, if you don't move it off
fairly quickly, I'm afraid you'll find a folder is automatically created for
you and given a (hopefully) meaningful name.  If that's what you'd like, fine;
it works quite well a lot of the time.

If you don't like the name of a folder and you're not nifty enough (at the
beginning) to sus out how to rename that folder, then go back to it, open the
folder, and if you then flick left you can find the folder name.  You're
supposed to be able to double tap this and rename it.  I couldn't actually get
that to work well yesterday until I'd found myself having to move out items
that were not wanted in one or two folders.  In this case, as you double tap
and hold the item, you can then get to rename the folder.

Sorry, I'm not very subsinct at this stage of the evening but that's the
general idea.

I have found it can be helpful to get apps you want to move into a folder
fairly close together and maybe all on the same page first, so that you know
where your app is and where you're moving it to.  This isn't probably really
essential though once you've practised these things a time or two.

Give me a shout if I can help further.  I did get all 30 plus apps of mine
straightened out without sighted help and felt very good about it too!  <Smiles>

Carol P