[access-uk] Re: Braille Sense email list

  • From: "karl farrell" <karl.farrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:01:16 +0100

Hello everyone

With regard to Braille Sense lists, this is what I understand to be the
situation on various aspects.  As far as I am aware, Force Ten and RNIB sell
those Hims products in the UK but I don't know of any lists for users set up
by them.  I came across the list on Freelists and I don't know who set it up
or owns it.  It's there and accepts new members so let's join it and share
our knowledge.

Some people mentioned GW Micro from the USA.  They used to sell Hims
products in North America, including Braille Sens.  They also had an
influence on the presentation of the products there and, presumably by the
size of their market, the western world in general.  They had on the GW
Micro site an active Braille Sense list and, although we were not their
customers using the US Sense software, they didn't seem to mind us
subscribing.  Then all of a sudden, Hims decided to market their products
themselves in North America.  So I found myself no longer subscribed to the
GW Micro list and, as far as I know, GW are no longer agents for Hims.

So the way you subscribe to the Freelists Braille Sense list is either to go
to the Freelists website, the same as with access-uk, or send a blank e-mail
with "subscribe" as the subject to
braille-sense-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've never met or incurred the wrath of the boss of that list but the
welcome includes the following:-

"... Feel free to discuss any and all aspects of the Braille Sense
notetaker. I want this list to be informative for all, so feel free to post
questions, comments, thoughts, anything about the Braille Sense.  ..."

"Two rules:
1. NO OFF TOPIC POSTS. In other words, the only topic of discussion here is
the Braille Sense notetaker.
2. Hateful/hostile/mean-spirited posts will *not* be tolerated. If you do it
once, I will warn you. If you do it again, I will remove your email address
from the group."

Go for it if you dare!

Karl Farrell