[24hoursupport] Re: password lock-up problem

  • From: our kitty <sweetiepie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 14:01:57 -0500

Sorry to bring up this problem like that.  I've tried typing in the
password before, and it would lock up the computer, requiring reboot.
This time, entering the password solved the problem.  I've contacted the
local isp in the past, and all they could suggest was making sure my
browser was properly updated, which it is.  I get a *lot* of repeat
messages right after getting on, saying the isp is locked up by another
pop-3 session, and to try again later, and to enter my password even
though I only got on one minute earlier using the password.  I
eventually learned by trial and error to just hit Enter as often as the
pop-up appeared, and that would stop the problem for a few minutes,
before it recurred.  When it finally got so persistent last time, I
added mention of it at the end of my message about updating Ad-Aware.
If the problem has anything to do with running SurfinGuard Pro, or
ZoneAlarm, or anything else I run...but how could it, or I couldn't get
on the internet in the first place.

ttyl,

Raphael

our kitty wrote:

> There is a new Ad-Aware (and also a new Ad-Aware Updater) out, which is
> incompatible with earlier versions, and the earlier versions no longer
> give updates.
>
> To get the new Ad-Aware;
>
> You have to download a new Ad-Aware file and a new RefUpdate.
>
> On the web page; http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html
>
> ...you need to click on "Ad-aware 5.62 Final 834 kb", and although it
> says "5.62", the file in the download window is not numbered, but the
> unpacked program will
> be 5.80.
>
> ...you also will need to download the new RefUpdate file (to a slightly
> differently named folder).  The same web page shows "RefUpdate 1.2 for
> Ad-aware 396kb".  This is the one you want.  Again, the file in the
> download window is not numbered, but in this case, the unpacked program
> will be RefUpdate version 2.0, which is the new one.
>
> So in other words, the new updated downloads have the old version
> numbers at the web page, but when you download them, you get the new
> versions.
>
> Both are new downloads that are incompatible with earlier versions of
> Ad-aware & RefUpdate.
>
> Also, please be aware that in the Ad-Aware readme.txt file, it says;
>
> "Some advertising systems GENERALLY need two passes to get completely
> removed from your system."
>
> After all that bother, it is rewarding to have Ad-Aware run
> automatically at boot and find and delete various spyware entries in
> your machine every so often.  I once ran an earlier update, and on the
> next scan, Ad-Aware found 221 spyware entries and deleted them all.
>
> Another beautiful program is SurfinGuard Pro, also freeware.  It works
> just fine for me on the maximum security setting, but can be set for
> lower levels.  It stops anything that tries to download and
> self-start.
> I would give the home web page to SurfinGuard Pro, but my local isp,
> NexTech in Hill City, Kansas, keeps trying to bounce me off the internet
> every five seconds with repeated Password Entry Dialogue pop-up windows,
> which has been going on for several months now.  Every time it pops up,
> I click on Enter to get it off, and type a few words of an email, then
> five or ten seconds later it pops up and I have to do it again.  I'm
> doing it right now (click-type-click-type-click-type... ... ...).
> Sometimes it even makes my computer lock up and even hitting
> ctrl-alt-delete won't unlock it, and I have to hit the ultimate button,
> "OFF", and completely reboot.  So let's get this little note off and
> I'll bid you all a good day, and shut down until the next time.  Oh my,
> now it's coming in multiple strings at one second intervals.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Raphael
> Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at
> http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/24hrsupport.htm.