[24hoursupport] Re: Scandisk fails to correct the disk error

  • From: "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 25 Aug 2003 06:59:02 -0700

You're right; low level formatting works well, but you lose all of your
data. A couple of years ago I was working on a computer at the
university. It had a hard drive that no matter how many times I would
fdisk and format it, it would pass scandisk diagnostics. It allow me to
almost finish reloading the operating system (win98) and then would back
out of the install with a disk error. Oddly, four files kept reappearing
out of nowhere. I suspected a virus, but none was found. Norton Disk
Doctor finally found an error on one of the last sectors of the drive.
It was able to repair it (mark it bad), and all was well. It was the
only time in my experience that Spinrite was unable to find and fix a
bad sector problem. There were other times when SR would find and fix
problems that NDD couldn't. So in the end I've learned to never assume
or depend on a single program to cure my computer problems.

P.S. The problem with SpinRite is that it's expensive and must be run in
DOS. It can go into a bad sector to pull out data though. Most other
utilities see a bad sector and back away from it.

Take care, d

--
Douglas S. Oliver <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>