[24hoursupport] Re: Scandisk fails to correct the disk error

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:07:20 -0500

Some low level format utilities that come with the hard drive can also
replace mismarked bad sectors.  I used Maxtor's on an 850Mb hard drive
that, through mistaken sectyor marking in Win 95, appeared to be full of
bad sectors.  Turned out that there was only one in reality and used the HD
for about two years after with no problems.  Spinrite is supposed to be
really good.

On 8/24/2003 at 10:24 AM a whisper was heard, and the one known as Douglas
S. Oliver was rumoured to have uttered....

          |  Have you thought of trying Norton Disk Doctor? It
          |  is more comprehensive
          |  than Scandisk. Another option might be to find a copy of
          |  Spinrite, which
          |  is the most comprehensive for finding and fixing non hardware
          |  disk
          |  errors. I use a combination of these three and
          |  Ontrack's/V-Com's hard
          |  drive analysis programs. I only mention all of these programs
          |  because I
          |  have found that when I run into this kind of problem, one of
          |  these progs
          |  will catch and fix the error when another cannot. No one
          |  single program
          |  ALWAYS works in my experience. Spinrite is the only one, I
          |  believe, that
          |  can correct mis marked sectors--sectors that have been marked
          |  incorrectly as bad (or good). It can also retrieve data from a
          |  bad
          |  sector.
          |  -- good luck, d
          |
          |  On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 09:34, M.Thakur wrote:
          |  >  I am using Win 98 FE with 2 HDD of 40 GB & 4 GB. My
          |  problems commenced since
          |
          |  > suggestions to solve the problems is more than welcome.
          |  Thank you.
          |  > M. Thakur
          |
          |  --
          |  Douglas S. Oliver <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          |
          |  For a web-based membership management utility and information
          |  on list policies, please see http://nibec.com/24hoursupport/

the subject.