[24hoursupport] Re: Hard drive or mobo??

  • From: Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Madrachod@xxxxxxx" <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:35:20 -0500

Hi Dale,

The error message at shutdown you refer to could be caused by numerous
things. One is the presence of the W32/Kriz virus. Another is having
multiple versions of AOL installed on the machine. Since you are an
AOL user, that might be an issue for you. The error message has also
been associated with McAfee's firewall.

The problems described with the hard drive may be related, or may be
coincidental. I would suspect things like the BIOS is too old to
handle a drive as large as 120 gig, the BIOS is not properly
set for the drive, not recognizing the drive, or not correctly
detecting the drive. Here's a good site on troubleshooting hard drive
problems: http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/0,39023731,20267667,00.htm

The W32/Kriz virus is a pretty nasty one. It can affect the BIOS of
the computer by attempting to flash it. Here's a page on that:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.kriz.html
and it could explain the hard drive problems.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the motherboard is shot. Maybe
it is, but the probability is rather low; that's a relatively rare
thing to happen. The fact that you're getting the same or similar
problems on the original drive makes it sound like a BIOS issue to me.
It could be as simple as replacing the battery on the motherboard so
the BIOS settings are correctly retained between shut downs.

Do you get any error messages during the POST (the black screen at
boot where the memory is checked before Windows starts to load? Does
the BIOS correctly identify the drive then? That's where I would
start.

Hope this helps.

Ron