[24hoursupport] Re: Cable generated interference

  • From: yyixi001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:52:28 -0500

Hi Robert,

I talked to Bill at the HRO in Anaheim again and relayed what you wrote,
and he says you do not want to put the ferrite beads right where the
cables all cluster together in a bundle through the hole--negative/nix
on that. You put the ferrites 'on the devices', that is, at the ends of
the cables where they terminate at your monitor, and the other end where
it terminates at the computer, right up against the plugs. Also do it to
the monitor power cords where they emerge from the monitor, and where
they plug into the wall or power strip.

The wireless mouse--if you want to eliminate it as a possible source of
RFI, switch to a cable mouse and, yes, you can put a ferrite at both
ends of the mouse cable. I asked, That would mean dragging a ferrite
around when you move the mouse, right? He said, that's correct.

Of course, like I say, I'm guessing he has detection equipment that is
so sensitive that if you pointed it at anything, he would pick up some
'rads', and then he would pick up fewer rads on his detector readouts
after putting a ferrite on both ends of the cable or cables to it, and
any reduction, even a barely detectable improvement in the RFI readouts,
is sufficient justification as far as he is concerned, for snapping on a
ferrite bead on each end of every cable attached to it. Can you imagine,
he said to put one on a mouse cable? At both ends. That's something to
think about. I would imagine that if anyone wanted to ask him to 'prove
it', and justify actually putting a ferrite bead on a mouse, he'd set up
his equipment, scan the mouse for RFI, get a reading, then pop on some
ferrites, scan it again, and inevitably get a lower RFI reading, and say
something like, "Any questions?"

Personally, I don't have that kind of a problem, so I don't see any need
for me to do anything to my equipment--yet, although I'm definitely
keeping this in mind for future reference. But if you say you have a
problem, then this is clearly the way to go, and so long as there
remains any RFI interferance, and a cable without a ferrite bead on it,
there's room for improvement.

Keep in touch!

cheers,

Roland