[1stPickSoftware] Re: OpenOffice

  • From: "Gadrow, Jim" <jgadrow@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jeff.needle@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <jeff.needle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 15:15:02 -0400

Hi Jeff,

You're correct about the email, browser, etc. However, I prefer NOT to have
my Office software so tightly integrated. You must realize that it's that
kind of integration that causes Outlook to be able to be attacked by the
same viruses, malicious macros, scripts and such, as IE and Word documents.
Unix is many small programs that each do 1 thing well rather than 1 large
program that tries to do everything.

Open/Star Office give an alternative to MS Office for Unix types. The
ability to share document and data formats WITHOUT having to take out a loan
for the software. Mozilla is a better browser than IE, and there are many
email clients available for Unix, although admittedly few with the same
'features' of Outlook.

I haven't tried it yet, but you might wish to take a look at Evolution from
Ximian. There's a very detailed article at
http://www.infoanarchy.org/story/2002/5/1/64850/34022 which compares it
favorably to Outlook, and you can download it from Ximian at
http://www.ximian.com/products/ximian_evolution/download.html. It is also a
free Open Source program.

I don't want to take up too much space cutting and pasting its features, but
just a couple will give you the idea of how well things have evolved since
StarOffice v5:

Flexible Message Formatting
View and send email in either HTML or text formats.

iCalendar Support
Arrange appointments and schedule meetings with users of other personal
information management tools, including Microsoft Outlook...

LDAP Compatible

Extensive Interoperability
Work with a broad range of corporate messaging environments such as
Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Domino using IMAP, POP, SMTP, and Authenticated
SMTP protocols.

Remember, I haven't tried it yet (plan to soon), but it does sound as though
it might be worth taking a look at in both home and enterprise environments,
doesn't it?

Enjoy!
Jim

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 15:16:32 -0700
From: Jeff Needle <jeff.needle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [1stPickSoftware] Re: OpenOffice

Jim, since StarOffice 6.0 (and thus OpenOffice) eliminated both the e-
mail/news, browser and PIM features, doesn't this hurt the product's
chances of really succeeding?  Is it worth the download when you still have
to use other software to do these every day tasks?

I used StarOffice for a while, but since I spend most of my day with e-mail,

their terrible client was a problem.  I had great hopes for a better client
with
6.0.  But they've just dumped the whole idea.  I'm very disappointed.

Jeff Needle
jeff.needle@xxxxxxxxxxx
or
jeffneedle@xxxxxxxxxxx