[1stPickSoftware] OpenOffice

  • From: "Gadrow, Jim" <jgadrow@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'1stpicksoftware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <1stpicksoftware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 16:30:55 -0400

Another outstanding freebie is OpenOffice v1.0 released 5/1 at
www.openoffice.org. This is the Open Source version of StarOffice v6.0,
which is the only real competitor to Microsoft Office. OpenOffice and
StarOffice both handle the same data formats as MS Office, but at a
SUBSTANTIALLY reduced price of FREE - $50 or so compared to hundreds of
$$'s.

OpenOffice runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris. Filesize is 50-70 meg depending
on version so be patient. You may wish to try a mirror site, as the servers
has been bombarded with requests. (I got my best download from the mirror in
Spain rather than NY)