[1stPickSoftware] Re: In search of gentle guide for new user

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpicksoftware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:13:38 -0800

Hi Larry,
Computer Associates recently reintroduced their free AV program and added a
free fire wall to the package;

CA will aggressively promote this special offer as part of Microsoft's
=93Protect Your PC=94 campaign. A download link for eTrust EZ Armor is
featured on the Protect Your PC site on Microsoft's Web site, located at:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect.
++
See;  http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

Seasons Greetings  http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/Xmas.htm

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/

On 18/12/2003 at 7:07 AM Larry W. Virden wrote:

I'm going to be helping a brand new user of an inherited old system
(win 98/se) start to use
windows.  Alas, I've little experience at this.

I know that for a new system, one of the first things I need to find
is some anti-virus software.
I've been told there are a couple of pretty good free packages -
where can I find out more?
Also, are there any guides, or web sites, where someone can go to
find various free packages
that it would be really useful for a novice user to have right from
the beginning?

This user is my son, a young student, who will be using the system
initially for doing homework and writing .  I have no  doubt that
before long, some gaming will interest him.  And I suspect that he's
going to want me to hook the machine up to a modem so he can get on
the internet .

For my own personal use of the system, my interest will eventually be
to set up linux on
the machine in some way that it won't interfere with his Windows use.

Any books that would be useful to check out to help here?
Particularly if they come with a CD of software - without a modem
initially, it's going to be painful to transfer stuff via
floppy disk...

** Please remove this line and everything below it before replying =A0**