[1stPickPCHelp] Re: Upgrading a Computer

  • From: John Appel <appeljon1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickpchelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:25:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi Argie

I am not exactly sure that what you need is is an
upgrade. When you indicate that things are slowing
down - exactly what are you referring too.

XP starting up - programs starting - surfing the
internet - mail functions etc.??

You will find that XP is somewhat slower starting -
and shutting down.  The 500 mhz AMD you are running
with that much RAM should be sufficient to do the
normal tasks with your computer wioth 98 or XP

An increase in Processor speed - and then do not spend
$500 for a pig in a poke. - will only be noticable if
you almost triple the CPU speed and then will have the
most increase in specific programs or games.

In fact - I just completed building a new computer -
used a 500 AMD as that was the limit the MB would
support and I have 320 RAM and I find it - so far to
have sufficient speed with XP.

Possible you have other issues that need to be
addressed to rectify speed problems.

Again - not exactly sure your exact problem.

Advise further.  Myself or others will then have
additional info to better guide you in the proper
direction.

Thanks

AJ  (appeljon1)
COMPUTER HELP-ONLINE