[1stPickPCHelp] Symantec XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Information Center

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickpchelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:38:30 -0700

From Symantec
<http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html?Open&src=con_web_nam&tpre
=us&tdir=#4>

Welcome to the Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Information Center!
This page answers the most frequently asked questions about SP2 and your
Norton antivirus and firewall products.

What is Windows® XP Service Pack 2?

When is it available?

Do Symantec products require Windows® XP Service Pack 2 to work?

How will installing Service Pack 2 affect the Symantec products I already
have installed?

Will Service Pack 2 cause problems installing Symantec products?

With Service Pack 2 installed, do I even need my Symantec antivirus and
firewall products?

Does the Windows Security Center turn off or break my Norton antivirus and
firewall products?

How do I know my computer is secure?

Why does the Windows Security Center say that the status of my Norton
security product is "unknown."

Which products does the Norton WMI (Windows Monitoring Instrumentation)
update affect?

If I run both the Windows Firewall and Norton Personal Firewall at the same
time, will I have more protection?

Do any of the Internet Explorer security enhancements conflict with my
Symantec security products?

Q: What is Windows® XP Service Pack 2?
A: Windows® XP Service Pack 2 is a major security-focused operating system
upgrade that includes an enhanced Windows firewall and a console (Windows
Security Center) to monitor the state of your computer's security.

Q: When is it available?
A: Microsoft is planning to release Windows® XP Service Pack 2 in August
2004.

Q: Do Symantec products require Windows® XP Service Pack 2 to work?
A: No. If your Symantec products run on Windows® XP now, they do not
require Service Pack 2 to continue working.

Q: How will installing Service Pack 2 affect the Symantec products I already
have installed?
A: This varies based on the Symantec products that you own:

Norton AntiVirus
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton AntiVirus. The
Windows Security Center will be aware that you have Norton AntiVirus
installed, but it will not be able to determine its working status due to
Symantec's tamper-protection technology.

Norton Firewall/Norton Internet Security
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton Personal Firewall or
Norton Internet Security. The Windows Security Center will be aware that you
have one of these products installed, but it will not be able to determine
their working status due to Symantec's tamper-protection technology.

Norton AntiSpam
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton AntiSpam.

Norton SystemWorks
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton SystemWorks. The
Windows Security Center will be aware that you have Norton AntiVirus
installed but it will not be able to determine its working status due to
Symantec's tamper-protection technology.

Norton GoBack
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton GoBack.

Norton PartitionMagic
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton PartitionMagic.

Norton Ghost
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton Ghost.

pcAnywhere
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on pcAnywhere.

Q: Will Service Pack 2 cause problems installing Symantec products?
A: It should not. However, you may see a Windows Security Alert when you
first start your product if your product requires outbound connections. This
happens with pcAnywhere. In that situation, the security alert gives you the
option to "unblock" the application to allow it to work.

Q: With Service Pack 2 installed, do I even need my Symantec antivirus and
firewall products?
A: Absolutely. Although Windows® XP Service Pack 2 monitors your antivirus
software, it has no antivirus capability itself. Your continued use of
Norton AntiVirus is crucial to the security of your computer. Norton
AntiVirus automatically detects and deletes worms, Trojan horses, and
viruses without interrupting your work. Norton AntiVirus detects malicious
code that is stored in compressed files and file archives, and identifies
and alerts you to the presence of spyware.

The Windows Firewall is designed to monitor and control inbound network
traffic only. It does not provide outbound traffic protection, intrusion
detection and response, or privacy controls -- all critical to securing your
computer from outside attacks. Norton Personal Firewall and Norton Internet
Security controls all outgoing network traffic. It alerts you to intrusion
attempts and automatically blocks all traffic from the attacker. Norton
Personal Firewall protects your privacy by filtering confidential
information (like phone numbers, credit card numbers, and bank account
numbers) and by blocking cookies on a site-to-site basis.

Q: Does the Windows Security Center turn off or break my Norton antivirus
and firewall products?
A: No. The Windows Security Center passively monitors and reports the
operating status of your antivirus and firewall products. However, Windows
Security Center may not be able to determine the working status of Symantec
products due to the tamper protection technology embedded in Symantec
products.

Q: How do I know my computer is secure?
A: Installing and running Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal
Firewall and Norton AntiVirus is a very good start. To test the actual
security of you computer, visit Symantec Security Check. This is a free
service that checks your computer against a wide range of online threats and
identifies your existing security needs.

Q: Why does the Windows Security Center say that the status of my Norton
security product is "unknown."
A: Your Norton security products contain tamper protection features that
prevent malicious code from determining their status. This tamper protection
also prevents the Windows Security Center from determining the status of
your Norton security products. Shortly after Microsoft releases Service Pack
2, Symantec will make a correction available through LiveUpdate. This
correction will allow the Windows Security Center to correctly identify the
status of your Norton security products.

Q: Which products does the Norton WMI (Windows Monitoring Instrumentation)
update affect?
A: The Norton WMI update will affect Norton AntiVirus, Norton SystemWorks,
Norton Personal Firewall, and Norton Internet Security.

Q: If I run both the Windows Firewall and Norton Personal Firewall at the
same time, will I have more protection?
A: No. Norton Personal Firewall has security features and functionality
beyond those provided by the Windows Firewall. Norton Personal Firewall
hides your PC from hackers. The Windows Firewall does not. Norton Personal
Firewall prevents confidential information from being exposed on the
Internet. The Windows Firewall does not. The intrusion prevention technology
in Norton Personal Firewall blocks Internet attacks such as CodeRed,
Blaster, and Sasser. The Windows Firewall does not.

Q: Do any of the Internet Explorer security enhancements conflict with my
Symantec security products?
A: Windows® XP Service Pack 2 security enhancements to Internet Explorer
should not create any conflicts with Symantec products that are installed on
your computer.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "info 1stpickpchelp" without the
quotes.

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe