[triadtechtalk] Re: Something that you might find useful

  • From: "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:53:28 -0600

Excellent advice worth repeating and for some that
may not know, anytime you make a error,
immediately hit Ctrl Z and whatever ya' dun did
wrong will be restored!

.......clarence.......

> Try different tacks for restoring vanished Word
document
> JEFFREY C. KUMMER Pioneer Press Columnist
>
> Q My problem is a lost Word file that was in the
My Documents folder. I was working on it when my
left hand hit the side of the keyboard and the
file vanished. The file is six months old, and
I've been worked on it off and on. What can I do?
It still shows up in the Recent Documents menu, if
that's any help. As a last recourse, is there a
good utility that can bring this file back, and
what are the odds that I'll be able to restore it?

> A I'm not sure even a Las Vegas bookie would
give you odds on this one. So many things could
have caused your file to do a vanishing act that
it's difficult to say whether you'll be able to
recover it. However, let's consider some common
reasons this might have happened and what you can
do to try to find an AWOL file.

> Problem: Your file was accidentally deleted.
>
> Solution: Double click the Recycle Bin icon on
your Windows desktop. If you see the file, right
click on its name or icon and select "Restore."

> You now should find the file in the same folder
it was in before the accident.

> Problem: The file was accidentally saved to a
different location on your computer's hard disk.

> Solution: Click the Start button and choose
Find/Files and Folders from the menu. If you know
the file name, enter that in the search-criteria
box.

> If you can't remember the name, use the Text
Search field to search for a unique word or phrase
that you know is included in the file.

> A third option is to search the hard drive for
any file ending with the *.doc extension used by
Word documents.

> Problem: You intended to highlight and delete
only a word, a sentence or paragraph, but instead
accidentally zapped the entire contents of the
document.

> Solution: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, close Word
or try to save or reopen the file. Instead, go
immediately to the Edit menu on the Word toolbar
and select the "Undo typing" option. With any
luck, the missing text should suddenly appear back
on your computer's screen.

> You also may be able to recover deleted text in
Word by repeatedly clicking F3 to cancel changes
made to the file.

> Problem: Your computer crashed, and the document
you've been working on seems headed to oblivion.

> Solution: As you work on a document, Word saves
snapshots of the file into memory. In the event of
a system crash or other trouble, those temporary
files can sometimes be recovered, saving at least
some -- if not all -- of the data that otherwise
might have been lost.

> But finding those files can be a chore. Word's
temporary files usually get put in the same
directory as the file(s) you're editing, and
typically begin with the following symbol: ~, and
end with a .tmp extension.

> So, using the Search/Files or Folders tool
described above, type "~*.tmp" (without the quote
marks) into the File Name search field. Look for
any that appear to have been created on or about
the date that you lost your file.

> To open them, first try as if they are regular
Word documents. If that doesn't work, go to Tools
menu in Word and choose Options/General and enable
"Confirm Conversion at Open." Next, choose File
and open. As you try to open the temporary file,
you'll see the Files of Type list box. Select
"Recover text from any file" to display the
contents of the file.

> Of course, the easiest way to restore lost data
files, whether they were created in Word or
another program, is to retrieve a copy of the file
from a floppy disk or CD-ROM. For that to be an
option, however, you need to force yourself to
make regular backups of your important files.

> So after you've finished reading this column,
raise your right hand and solemnly swear that from
here on in, you will make it a habit to at least
once a week backup all your important data files.

> For most folks, this is simply a matter of
copying the contents of you're My Documents folder
to a floppy or CD. Do this and you'll never need
to worry that a file that took six months to
create might vanish in a flash because of a simple
slip of the wrist.