[TechAssist] Re: Sanyo M# DS27930, Ch# 27930-00 In General

  • From: Wayne Vanaman <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 06:43:23 -0500

As usual I am a day late and a dollar short.

Any brand or model TV that uses the switch mode supply to generate both
the main and stand-by supplies is subject to a ticking noise while in
stand-by.  Why?

There are two ways to run the supply.  It can run as a frequency
modulated supply or a pulse modulated supply.  If it is a frequency
modulated supply it will run constantly, changing frequency to meet the
demands of the load.

However, if it is a pulse modulated supply the power supply is not
running all of the time.  It will burst to "recharge" the secondary if
there is insufficient load to keep it running.  This burst of energy
thru the circuitry can cause a ticking sound.

And how can you tell which supply you have?  With a scope, of course.

So, if it is a soft/quite ticking I would not worry about it.  Of
course, that is subjective.

Wayne Vanaman
Omega Electronics
6904 W Fairfield Dr