Wait event SQL*Net break/reset to client caused by duplicate insert?

  • From: "Peter Hitchman" <pjhoraclel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 20:54:35 +0100

Hi,
Oracle 1.1.06 RAC on OEL 4 64 bit.

We are seeing an insert statement reporting "SQL*Net break/reset to client"
as over 1/3 of its time.
On the face of it this event suggests network issues but nothing else backs
this up as the cause.
So I looked at the Java code in question and a trace of one of the sessions.

What is happening is that an attempt is made to insert a row, most of the
time a duplicate error results, the code catches this exception and does an
update.
I was wondering if its the duplicate error and the exception handling which
results in this wait event showing up.

All insights welcome

Regards

Pete