[zxspectrum] NIRVANA ENGINE +

  • From: "Simone Voltolini" <simone.voltolini@xxxxxx>
  • To: <zxspectrum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 10:05:50 +0200

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/51209/full-screen-32-column
s-bicolor-engine-nirvana

Incredibile!!!

"When the original
<http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/45538/a-new-full-screen-bi
color-engine-called-nirvana> NIRVANA ENGINE was released about 2 years ago,
it supported 30 columns, at most 22 rows in bicolor. Now NIRVANA+ ENGINE
supports all 32 columns, at most 23 rows in bicolor.

Now I know exactly what you are going to ask...

Why not 24 rows?
Technically, limiting bicolor size to 24 rows instead of 23 rows would take
me no additional effort. But I preferred to reserve the top row on screen
for timing synchronization, so the screen will never flicker. Trust me, it's
worth it!

Is it harder to use NIRVANA+ in comparison to NIRVANA?
No! Both engines have exactly the same APIs, and behave exactly the same
way. Internal implementation has changed, therefore most addresses are
different, but that's all!

How much more memory does it use?
Almost none! Latest version of NIRVANA uses 8677 bytes of memory, generating
22 bicolor rows. If you recompileNIRVANA+ to use 22 rows also, then it will
use 8728 bytes of memory, a difference of only 51 bytes!

How much more CPU does it use?
None! If you recompile NIRVANA and NIRVANA+ to use the same number of
bicolor rows, both engines will consume exactly the same amount of CPU.

Hold on, do we really get 2 extra bicolor columns for free? There must be
some disadvantage!
There isn't. You really get 2 extra bicolor columns for free

Does it mean the original NIRVANA ENGINE will be discontinued?
No, it's still supported. Choosing NIRVANA or NIRVANA+ for your game simply
depends on what you want to happen when drawing a tile at the screen edge.
Would you like only half of this tile to appear on screen, so you can easily
implement multicolor images gradually entering or leaving the gameplay area?
If so, use NIRVANA. Or would you like the entire tile to appear on screen,
so you can have an even larger gameplay area? In this case, use NIRVANA+.

Is it free?
Yes! All my multicolor engines are free to develop all kinds of programs
(even commercial games), they only need to be properly credited.

Anything else?
This new engine is based on a 32 columns multicolor routine proposed by
Alone Coder and later modified by myself. For further details you can check
<http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/44591> this thread. Thus
many thanks to Alone Coder for the 32 columns idea, this engine would not
have been possible without him! He's properly credited in NIRVANA+
documentation

But how can I get it?
I'm glad you ask, I almost forgot it! The new NIRVANA+ ENGINE is available
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bgtoq6tdwropzzr/AAAknv_0PeJGhn36dLJZfGASa>
here."

Kora Sistemi Informatici

Via Cavour 1, 46030 San Giorgio di Mantova MN
Tel/Fax +39 0376 371059
P. IVA: 02048930206

JPEG image