[zevenos-neptune] Evaluate Systemd upgrade: Results

  • From: "Leszek Lesner (ZevenOS)" <leszek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zevenos-neptune@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 11:22:16 +0100

Hi,

we tested thoroughly internally if it makes sense and is possible to easily
upgrade our init daemon systemd to its newest version 227.
In the end we decided not to provide an upgrade to systemd 227.
This has several reasons.

1. There seems to be a bug in dpkg freezing it when upgrading/installing the
init package (See: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=771971 )
This leads to a frozen apper upgrader and not a good user experience.

2. Systemd 227 now installs systemd-sysv and replaces sysvinit. This leads to
new .service files being used.
On several machines we had (especially notebooks) we ancountered freezes on
NetworkManager-wait-online.service that times out after 30 seconds.
So on a system that normally takes 2-5 seconds to boot the boot is delayed by
30 seconds which we think is not acceptable.
There are some workarounds for this like disabling the service though other
services might still require and call it leading to the 30 seconds delay (so
far we identified smbd, nmbd, winbind)

Overall providing a sane configuration that does not break is in both (ours and
the users) interest. We therefore do not plan to upgrade to this internally
tested version.

But the internal test was not useless as it provided useful information and
also lead to some upgraded packages like dpkg, gettext, debhelper, dh-exec,
bash-completion, autotools, autoconf, apparmor and more.

We also identified another issue with apper "freezing". This is caused by the
apt-listchanges package which normally lists critical changes to the system in
a changelog and waits for the user to quit that changelog.
Though apper and packagekit are not meant for user input that way and don't
provide any. So the packagemanager dpkg just hangs there in the background
waiting for user input that the user cannot make with apper.
So we advise anyone to remove that package.
We will not ship it in a future release iso aswell to prevent this apper
hanging issue.

--
ZevenOS / Neptune Team
http://www.zevenos.com / http://www.neptuneos.com