[yshavurah] Upcoming UJWF Meeting

  • From: "Temple Sholom" <templesholom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "YS Havurah" <yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 11:41:46 -0400

Dear friends,
        We are writing at a time of crisis for Jews all over the world. Every
day when we pick up the paper or turn on the TV we learn of the most recent
atrocity committed against our brothers and sisters in Israel. And, although it
does not receive as much attention, the Jewish people of Argentina are
suffering from poverty of unprecedented proportions, while there is an ongoing
attempt to revive the Jewish communities in Russia, which were decimated by
World War Two and the Soviets. It is against this background that we have
accepted the challenge of chairing the 2002-2003 local United Jewish Welfare
Fund Campaign.
        UJC, the major benefactor of our local campaign, has established an
Israel Emergency Campaign to try to help meet the needs created by the
continuing terrorism. The money raised in this special campaign will go to help
the families who have lost loved ones, to provide counseling to traumatized
individuals, and to provide additional guards at schools, playgrounds and other
places where children gather. It will not be used for weapons.
        Instead of conducting a separate drive in this area, we have borrowed
from our reserves and sent $7000 to the Emergency Campaign. This means that
some of our allocations from last year have not been paid, and we will need to
make up the shortfall in our next campaign. However, we believe that it is
vital that we show our support and we know we can count on you to meet the
additional needs.
        To learn more about what is happening in Israel, we invite you to
attend a community meeting at 7:30 PM at Temple Sholom on Tuesday, June 18th.
We will have as our guest speaker, Mark Weintraub, from the Chicago office of
the UJC. Mark will be able to give us an update on the current situation in
Israel and will share his experiences from his recent trip there. There will be
no solicitation of funds at this meeting. We will serve coffee and dessert.
Please call Raelene at the Temple, 399-1231, by June 14th to let her know that
you will be attending.
        We are pleased to announce that we have the chairs for the next two
years. They are Ray and Char Schiff, 2003-2004 Campaign, and Larry and Kim
Fish, 2004-2005 Campaign. We all look forward to seeing you on the 18th, and at
our regular United Jewish Welfare Fund Drive, which will be held on August
27th, 2002. You will receive further information on that meeting at a later
date.
        Thank you for your support.
        Sincerely,
        Stan and Phyllis Nedelman