[yshavurah] Got the "SNOPE" on Howard Dean

  • From: "Cheryl Levine" <clevineys@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "YS Havurah" <yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 21:45:40 -0800

      Claim:   Vermont governor Howard Dean promised "that if he is =
elected president, the United States will no longer support Israel the =
way it has in the past" and "characterized Hamas terrorists as =
'soldiers.'"=20

      Example:   [Collected on the Internet, 2003]=20

              HOWARD DEAN PROMISED THAT IF HE IS ELECTED PRESIDENT, THE =
UNITED STATES WILL NO LONGER SUPPORT ISRAEL THE WAY IT HAS IN THE PAST =
UNDER BOTH DEMOCRATIC AND REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTS. IN HIS OWN WORDS HE =
WILL INSIST THAT THE UNITED STATES BE "EVEN HANDED" . THIS IS A TERM =
REGULARLY EMPLOYED BY ARAFAT AND HIS COTERIE OF ADHERENTS THAT MEANS TO =
BE ANTI-ISRAEL!!=20

              GOVERNOR DEAN MADE THESE COMMENTS ON CNN ON SEPTEMBER 10, =
2003 ON THE WOLF BLITZER SHOW. HE HAS REPEATED THOSE WORDS SINCE.=20

              IN THIS WERE NOT ENOUGH, GOVERNOR DEAN ON THAT SAME SHOW =
CHARACTERIZED THE HAMAS TERRORISTS AS "SOLDIERS". FOR THE FIRST TIME =
SINCE 9/11 WE HAVE SOMEONE RUNNING FOR THE OFFICE OF PRESIDENT OF THE =
UNITED STATES CALLING TERRORISTS SOLDIERS.=20

              I URGE YOU THAT IF YOU HAVE ANY LOVE FOR AMERICA AND =
ISRAEL YOU SHOULD NOT AND CANNOT VOTE FOR HOWARD DEAN FOR THE OFFICE OF =
PRESIDENT.=20

              THIS COMING ELECTION MAY VERY WELL BE ONE OF THE MOST =
IMPORTANT IN DECADES.=20

              PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE ON TO AS MANY OF YOUR FAMILY AND =
FRIENDS AS YOU CAN.=20
          =20

      Hi All,
      I followed Linda's suggestion and found the following (if you =
maximize your page, it'll read better)--this is somewhat reassuring but =
I'm still a little put off by his naivete in the terms he used and =
wonder what this really means about his private views and political =
sensitivities.  We are seeing a rise in antisemitism (as stated by some =
of the watchdog groups) and I think its important to be aware of our =
potential leader's abilities and experience in this area.
      Thanks to all who responded,
      Cheryl

      Origins:   Former Vermont=20
             =20
      governor Howard Dean, who is seeking the Democratic Party's =
nomination as its 2004 presidential candidate, touched off controversy =
in September 2003 while speaking about the Middle East peace process for =
saying that he didn't "believe stopping the terror has  to be a =
prerequisite for talking," that "it's not our place to take sides" on =
the issue, that an "enormous number" of Israeli settlements in =
Palestinian territories would have to be dismantled, and that "the =
United States needs an even-handed approach in the conflict." Dean was =
criticized for his remarks, particularly by presidential rival Senator =
Joseph Lieberman, in part because (as noted above) the term =
"even-handed," when used in reference to the Israeli-Palestinian =
situation in the Middle East, often indicates a pro-Palestinian (or =
anti-Israeli) position. Lieberman responded to Dean's remarks in a =
speech to the Council on Foreign Relations in New York:=20

        When you start to say, in very loaded terms - particularly when =
Israelis are under assault by terrorists, not unlike the situation we =
find ourselves in - that America shouldn't take sides in the =
Israeli-Palestinian dispute, that's a break in more than half a century =
of the American foreign policies carried out by presidents of both =
parties, and it's very harmful.=20

        I bet the Palestinians are more surprised than anyone else when =
they heard Howard Dean say this.=20
      Dean admitted that he was unaware of the significance of the term =
"even-handed" and should have employed different terminology, while =
reasserting that the U.S. does "have a special relationship with Israel" =
and "would defend Israel if necessary":=20

        I've since learned that that is a very sensitive word to use in =
certain communities, so perhaps I could have used a different euphemism. =
But the fact of the matter is, at the negotiating table, we have to have =
the trust of both sides. When you're at the negotiating table, you don't =
sit down and blame people when you're negotiating. There's a difference =
between our policy in Israel - which has always been supportive, =
including the willingness to defend Israel - and what you do at the =
negotiating table, which clearly has to have the trust of both sides. We =
do have a special relationship with Israel. We would defend Israel if =
necessary. I think that is well-known. However, we are also the only =
country capable of bringing peace to the Middle East, and when we sit at =
the negotiating table, we do have to have the trust of both sides or we =
will never succeed.=20
      Dean explicated that by "even-handed" he meant that the United =
States should pursue a policy of serving as an "impartial broker" =
between the two sides in order to reach a peace deal, and asserted that =
"the American policy is and will continue to be based on Israel's right =
to exist" and that the U.S. "must condemn all civilian killings, =
including any terrorist attacks."=20

      Dean drew another round of criticism when he was asked during a =
CNN interview whether he felt Israel had the right to target and =
assassinate Hamas leaders, and answered:=20

        I think no one likes to see violence of any kind, [but] there is =
a war going on in the Middle East, and members of Hamas are soldiers in =
that war, and therefore it seems to me they are going to be casualties =
if they are going to make war.=20
      Some listeners interpreted this as a logical response meaning that =
Israel is at war with Hamas, and therefore as long as Hamas continues =
suicide bombings against Israelis, Israel has the right to attack Hamas =
leaders. Other listeners took umbrage at the remark, feeling that Dean =
was injudiciously equating terrorists with legitimate defense forces.=20

      What policies Howard Dean would likely pursue in the Middle East =
should he become president is an issue voters will have to determine for =
themselves. Summaries of his statements and positions regarding Israel =
(as well as those of other presidential candidates) can be found at =
JSOURCE (the Jewish Virtual Library) and the web site of the Arab =
American Institute.=20

      Additional information:        Dean Defends Middle East Remarks=20
              (CNN.com) =20

      Last updated:   8 December 2003 =20

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/politics/israel/dean.asp=20
Click here to e-mail this page to a friend=20

Urban Legends Reference Pages =A9 1995-2003=20
by Barbara and David P. Mikkelson=20
This material may not be reproduced without permission

-------
   Sources:=20
      Kurtz, Howard.   "Why Dean Got Hit on Israel."=20
      The Washington Post.   10 September 2003.=20

      Nagourney, Adam and Jodi Wilgoren.   "At Debate, Democrats Clash =
Over Mideast."=20
      The New York Times.   10 September 2003   (p. A22).=20

      CNN.com.   "Dean Defends Middle East Remarks."=20
      10 September 2003.=20
Cheryl B. Levine, Psy.D.
Clinical and Consulting Psychologist
Positive Perspectives, Inc.