[yshavurah] A Beautiful Hanukkah Story -- Enjoy!

  • From: Adamsmicki@xxxxxxx
  • To: Adamsmicki@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:40:01 EST

December 13, 2005
Sometimes it takes a crisis to show how strong your faith  really is
Our Hanukkah Miracle
By  Michael  Goldberg
Los Angeles,  California
My wife and I are both teachers, I teach kitchen  design at a UCLA extension
school, while Ellen teaches religious  education at the Wilshire Boulevard
Temple in downtown Los Angeles,  not far from where we live. Shortly before
Thanksgiving last year,  with Hanukkah approaching, Ellen decided to take our
antique menorah  to school to show to her class and to talk to the children
about
Hanukkah.
This menorah was not some ordinary  artifact; it was unique, priceless and
irreplaceable. It had been  handcrafted of silver in Poland in 1539 and was
believed to have  been owned originally by a Jewish physician who had saved the
life  of the son of a German prince. The prince gave it as a gift to the
doctor. More than two centuries later, this same menorah was said to  have
belonged
to a rabbi who was a counselor to Napoleon. Eventually  it was passed along to
our family.
What made  it even more unusual and significant was that, unlike most
menorahs  used today, which are lighted by electricity or burn candles, it
burned
oil, like the menorahs of antiquity. Legend has it that when  the Israelites
regained their desecrated temple in Jerusalem from  the Syrians in 165 B.C.,
they
found one small cruse of oil that  hadn't been defiled.
In celebration, they  poured the oil into a ceremonial menorah and lighted
it. Though no  one expected it to burn very long with that tiny amount of oil,
it  burned for a week and a day. That was the miracle of Hanukkah, which  to
this day is still celebrated by Jews the world over. During each  of the eight
nights of Hanukkah, Jews light one of the eight lights  or candles in their
menorahs, commemorating that triumph of God's  people over their enemies.
When school was  over that day, Ellen wrapped the menorah in newspapers to
protect it  and carried it home in a brown bag. She put the bag in a corner in
our study. Normally we store the menorah in a bank vault, but Ellen  put it in
the study because we would be using it  soon.
A week later, just before Hanukkah,  Ellen was getting ready to polish the
menorah. When she went to the  study to get it, the bag was gone.
Ellen came  to me in tears.
"Let's not panic," I said  uneasily. "We'll find it."
Our children,  Joseph, nine, and Caren, six, helped us look. We covered every
room  in the house. No luck. I phoned Wilshire Boulevard Temple; they  hadn't
seen it. I phoned several friends: they hadn't seen  it.
Then I thought of Rosa, our cleaning lady  who comes once a week. I grabbed
the  telephone.
"Rosa," I said, trying to keep  cool, "did you happen to see a bag of
newspapers in the study last  time you were here?"
Yes, Rosa had seen the  bag on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Thinking it
was trash, she  had thrown it out.
I felt my shoulders slump.  Our trash is picked up on Fridays. That was two
days  ago!
"It's not your fault," I consoled Rosa,  who sounded close to tears herself.
After all, the menorah weighed  less than half a pound and it was only about
six inches long, maybe  five inches tall. How could anyone know it was  there?
I staggered upstairs, burdened by the  thought of the tiny, delicate menorah
buried under tons of rubble  and trash in the city dump. Exhausted from worry,
I listened to  Ellen urge me to go to bed and try to rest.
"I  can't," I said. "Not yet anyway." Disjointed thoughts and memories  were
sailing through my mind.
I recalled when  I was a child in New York City, how that menorah had meant
such  happy times. It wasn't just that this symbol of Hanukkah represented
eight days of gifts. There was more.
Whenever  the menorah was brought out at home, my parents would always
explain  that against mighty odds, the Jewish people had never given up.
Inspired
by an unconquerable faith in God, they had  endured.
Could I be that strong? I  wondered. My faith in God was solid, I felt, but
never had it really  been tested; there had never been a real crisis in my
life. Not till  now, anyway. Finding that menorah would, in a sense, be a
challenge  to my trust in God's ability to save and  protect.
Simply put, I had to find that  menorah. And I believed somehow God would
help me if I just did my  part.
Sometime around 3:00 a.m., I fell  asleep. By six, I was up and on the
telephone again. The first call  I made was to the West Los Angeles Sanitation
Department.
"Look, pal," the man who answered  told me, "we get this problem all the
time. It's hopeless. This city  has seven hundred garbage trucks. Every day
five
thousand tons of  trash are dumped at the landfill. And the landfill is two
hundred  fifty acres square. You ain't got a chance."
When I told him how big the menorah was, he practically  laughed.
"Hey, pal. People mistakenly throw  away things five times that size, and we
can't even find them when  they're still on the truck."
He did make it  sound hopeless. But I wasn't going to give up. Maybe if I
could find  somebody who understood the significance of what I was looking for,

I thought, I'd have a little better chance.
"Is there a Mr. Schwartz there?" I asked.
"No."
"How about Mr.  Cohen?"
"No."
"Mr.  Goldstein?"
"No."
I was  beginning to run out of Jewish names when I tried  Ackerman.
"Yeah, we have a Mrs.  Ackerman."
"Great. Let me talk to her,  please."
When Mrs. Ackerman came on, I  explained I had lost a very old, silver
candelabrum.
"You probably won't find it," she  replied. "But we've got to try." She
promised to call right  back.
In a few minutes she did. Because of the  Thanksgiving holiday, Mrs. Ackerman
said, trash from my street -  Butterfield Road - had not been picked up till
Saturday. Since city  trucks didn't collect on Sunday, only one layer of
landfill rubble  would be covering my garbage.
"Before, your  odds were a trillion to one," Mrs. Ackerman said. "Now they're
a  million to one."
Desperate for help to reduce  those odds, I asked, "Mrs. Ackerman, are you
Jewish?"
Yes, she said, she  was.
"Well, it was a menorah I  lost."
"Oh, my goodness," came her reply.  "We've really got to help you."
A few minutes  later, my telephone rang once more. It was an Edward O'Neal,
supervisor of the West Los Angeles Refuse  Division.
"I don't know what church you go to,  Goldberg," he said, "but you ought to
light a candle. The truck that  picked up your garbage hasn't dumped yet."
From deep inside me a cry of triumph burst  forth.
"Now before you get too excited,"  O'Neal cautioned, "you better know that
that truck, number  eight-forty-eight, is on its way to the landfill right
now."
Without saying another word, I hung up.  The Sepulveda Canyon landfill was
nine miles from my house. Early  Monday morning traffic to that area would be
horrendous. How could I  ever make it in time?
"Please, Lord," I said,  pulling on a pair of jeans.
Incredibly, I did  not hit a single red light on the way. In fact, I made it
to the  landfill in less than 10 minutes, flying past the gate as a guard
hollered.
As I entered the sprawling dump, I  spotted in the distance, chugging to the
top of the craterlike  dumping site, a white-and-black garbage truck with No.
848 painted  on its side. Within moments, that truck would dump its contents,
which would then be bulldozed over the edge of the cavity - to be  buried
under a mountain of dirt and rock.
Stepping down hard on the gas pedal, I climbed the hill, too,  honking
frantically. Garbage truck No. 848 stopped. Hopping out of  my car, I asked the
two
surprised-looking men inside 848's cab if  they had picked up on Butterfield
Road on  Saturday.
No, they said, they  hadn't.
The answer took the wind out of me.  Suddenly I felt weak. I had given it my
best effort and now had come  up empty.
"But we weren't using this truck on  Saturday," one of the men said.
"Somebody else  was."
My spirits soared again. I told them my  problem. And again I was told how
slim my chances were. "There's  eight tons of garbage in this truck," 848's
driver said. "It'll be  like a needle in a haystack, only much worse."
Nevertheless, I persuaded him to dump the load in an open space,  where I
could get at it. When he did, I gasped; the knee-deep pile  covered an area
about
the size of a two-bedroom  house.
Wildly, I began to sift through coffee  grounds, eggshells, half-eaten TV
dinners, still not even sure this  was the refuse from Butterfield Road.
Thick  dust choked my lungs. An awful smell stung my nostrils. Around me,
bulldozers worked with a deafening roar. Several times workers  screamed for me
to leave, but I kept wading through the refuse,  digging, searching.
The temperature was in the  high 70s. After about 10 minutes of searching, I
was soaked to the  skin. Earthmovers edged closer as I ripped at plastic
garbage bags.  If only I had a shovel, I thought. Just last week, a man
working
for me had thrown my old shovel in the garbage by  mistake.
Turning to the men from 848, I asked  if they had one on their truck. They
shook their  heads.
"Isn't that a shovel over there?" one  said, pointing to an object about 20
yards from  me.
Looking up, I saw a brown handle sticking  into the air. As I slogged toward
it, I caught my breath: That  was my old shovel!
"That's my shovel!" I  shouted crazily. The landfill workers nearby stopped
and stared. I  felt that this was my sign from God: Dig  here!
New energy surged into my arms and  legs, and oblivious to the din, the dirt
and the odor, I began to  patiently tear through the garbage bags near the
shovel. Two hours  and I don't know how many plastic bags later, I fished out
the
 menorah, still wrapped in newspapers. It was scratched in back, its  little
oil-bearing cups twisted, but otherwise it was  okay.
Tears hung from the corners of my eyes  as I drew the menorah to my chest. I
was sure that no treasure ever  lost and then found again had ever in history
brought such joy. My  sense of relief and gratitude was absolutely
overwhelming. Holding  the menorah aloft then, I began to pray:
"Hear, O Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is one. . .  ."
Two days later, as Ellen and I set the  ancient menorah in our living-room
window to begin the observance of  Hanukkah. I couldn't help thinking of all
the
strange events that  had restored it to me. Finding Mrs. Ackerman to help was
a wonder in  itself. And the garbage truck that didn't dump for two days. And
all  the green traffic lights on the way to the landfill. And the broken
shovel standing there like a beacon, as if God Himself had told me  where to
dig,
so that the menorah finally could be  found.
God's hand in the whole experience now  seemed very clear. Never before had I
felt so close to Him. As He  had so many times throughout the centuries, God
had once more  demonstrated and I was awed to think this time He had done it
to  reveal how worthy of our trust He is.
To my  family and me it was nothing less than a miracle. It was our new
miracle of  Hanukkah.