[yourwateryoursay action group] URGENT: UNION ASSISTANCE REQUIRED

  • From: "Andrea Bolch" <abolch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <yourwateryoursay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:41:57 +1000

ATTENTION ALL UNION MEMBERS

We need your urgent help to lobby all unions including Victorian Trades Hall
Council to take a position to oppose the desalination plant.

Despite numerous requests for assistance we are struggling to get union
attention and focus on this issue and need union members to push it to be
discussed at all levels in all unions and then to take a position to oppose the
plant.

Are you willing to help and join a sub-group to coordinate lobbying and
pressure on the various unions?

To date the AMWU, ETU, AEU and Trades Hall are either supporting desal or are
neutral and hence have not responded favourably to our approaches to discuss
the issue in detail and/or to assist in the community assembly at the site that
is now in its 5th week. We would be hoping that unions would resolve not to
cross the assembly if they are contracted to do work on the pilot plant or the
future main desal plant.

We have had some support from AMWU Melbourne Northern Branch so there is some
positive news but will need more if the motion they have passed to oppose the
plant is to be passed at their State level meetings sometime in June.

We need union members urgent assistance to write or phone their union  to urge
them to oppose the desal plant and to move to not cross the community assembly
at the site.

If you are able to help please email or contact one of the below:

Jessica Harrison - wildjessica@xxxxxxxxxxx or 0407 307 231
Andrea Bolch - abolch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or 0400 065 253
Chris Heislers - heislers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or 0419 556 381

Thank you for your ongoing assistance