[yourwateryoursay action group] Bass Coast Shire Council- Anti Desal Motion

  • From: "Andrea Bolch" <abolch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <yourwateryoursay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:55:21 +1000

SUCCESS AT BASS COAST SHIRE COUNCIL

We just wanted to keep everyone up to date and we are very pleased to pass on
some good news!  It doesn't happen often so we all need to enjoy the moment. It
is exactly 12 months today since the State Government announced the building of
the largest desalination plant in the country on the Bass Coast and last night
the Bass Coast Shire Council voted in favour of the following motion to commit
the Council to opposing the desalination plant. The motion was put forward by
our strong supporter Gareth Barlow.

Motion:

That this Councl, informed by its research and investigation, believes the
Government's decision to commit to a desalination plant at Williamson's Beach
should be reversed. Council calls on the Premier, Hon. John Brumby MP, and the
Victorian State Government, to abandon the decision to construct a desalination
plant and to instead hold a comprehensive, open and transparent inquiry into
options for Victoria's water supply. Council believes that the outcome of such
an inquiry should inform future Government decisions.

Council further resolves to authorise Council's Communications staff to
immediately begin a media campaign with the aims of explaining Council's
decision and of forcing the Government to justify it's actions. Council
authorises the Chief Executive Officer to allocate whatever resources are
necessary to further this campaign.

Council also resolves to indicate its strong support for the community as
embodied in the Your Water Your Say Action Group and its legitimate and lawful
campaign.

There is also increasing anger and frustration along the new proposed route for
the overhead power to the plant from Tynong and we are keen to work together
with this extended community to form a united front or alliance as there is
definitely strength in numbers.

Kind regards

Andrea Bolch

President