Re: [yoshimi-user] We have arrived :)

  • From: cal <cal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 04:45:44 +1000

On 03/07/10 03:35, Will J Godfrey wrote:

I was just about to ask if there was any news when I noticed Yoshimi
now appears on the official debian squeeze repository.

Rock on Yoshi :)

... bloody hell!!! (oops, pardon the surprise). That's just incredible,
thanks for passing that on Will!

Not a whole lot happening here ... well that's partially true. There's two
quite distinct versions of the beast. There's the "production" version,
which seems to work pretty well for normal folks, and frankly I'm almost
reluctant to change things in that. I've reached the stage where I really
do dread the emails when I change things and stuff it up again.

Then there's the "experimental" version, which has become a somewhat wild and
wooly beast. There's a couple of nice things in it that I'd like to turn loose,
particularly a midi restructure that I really do like. But there's some
wildly experimental doodlings that make transfer to production a bit
complicated. For example I've been playing around with replacing libmxml. First
I tried libraptor/rdf, which has serious potential, but that sort of got put
on hold when I decided to explore sqlite. For the past couple of weeks I've
been grinding away at sql, which has been a depressing reminder of days of old
working on accounting software. I figure working on yoshimi really shouldn't
remind me of accounting software, so that may or may not go anywhere. The
connection probably isn't immediately obvious, but what's been driving all
that is a desire for midi controlled program changes.

Today I got to thinking that maybe I should have a go at putting one of the
experimental notions into production. Every noteon/noteoff involves a not
insignificant amount of newing and deleting of objects, which is actually
a very bad thing to do in the realtime path. With boost smart pointers, I've
taken the deletion of used objects out of the realtime path, and I think it
does help to some small degree. Getting the allocation of new objects out of
realtime would be a whole lot more complicated, but I'm slightly embarrassed
to admit that I have actually thought about it.

I've also made a conscious decision to try to spend a little less time on the
all black keyboard, and a little more on the black & white one. I figure if I
can do that, maybe I'll actually learn to play it to a half-decent standard :-).

Such is life in St Kilda.

cheers folks!