Re: [yoshimi-user] A "silence signal"?

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 21:36:52 +0100

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 20:00:01 +0000
Jonathan E Brickman <jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was thinking about how things went this morning with the new Firewire
interface (Behringer FCA202, working great), and realized a question. Is
there such a thing as a "silence signal" in Jack? In the real world
obviously not, silence is the absence of sound pressure, but in Jack
shouldn't it be possible to fill the channel with 48 kHz (or whatever) of
zeroes? And more importantly, does anyone have an easy way to do this??? I
am hearing some faint things in my output that I cannot explain, and a
'silence generator' (if the concept in fact makes sense) would help me figure
this out.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman
Ponderworthy Music | jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

I'm not certain of this, but I believe jack continually polls all connected
audio outputs for data. Certainly yoshimi will reply with zeros if it's not
being told to make any sound.

So with the current version simply start it with the -K option, then disable
Part 1. With no parts enabled no sound can be generated.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk