[ycnews] FW: Launch of CSO Net - the Civil Society Network

  • From: Emily Turk <emily@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ycnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ycnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:21:28 -0400

FYI
________________________________
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: DESA NGO Branch <ngonews@xxxxxx<mailto:ngonews@xxxxxx>>
Date: 30 March 2010 23:20
Subject: Launch of CSO Net - the Civil Society Network
To: nehasood01@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:nehasood01@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear NGO Community,

With an increasing number of civil society organizations seeking consultative
status with the Economic and Social Council, the NGO Branch of the United
Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA), is increasingly
being called upon to engage with these organizations worldwide on a wide range
of issues on the United Nation’s development agenda. There is now a growing
demand from organizations from both the developed and developing countries to
contribute to the UN’s economic and social agenda, including to the
internationally agreed development goals.

In order to facilitate this engagement and provide a suitable platform for
civil society, I am pleased to announce that UNDESA has launched a
knowledge-based, open networking platform called CSO Net - the Civil Society
Network, which is designed to facilitate interaction among civil society groups
worldwide, Member States and UN system agencies. The aim is to: share and
promote best practices in the field of economic and social development;
establish innovative and collaborative development solutions; facilitate
partnerships among the users of the portal; and promote interactive discussions
through online forums on issues of immediate relevance to the UN’s agenda. This
portal can be accessed at http://www.un.org/ecosoc/csonet.

I invite you to visit the portal and explore ways that your organization can
contribute to and engage effectively with the NGO Branch and the United Nations
system as a whole. The multiple features of the portal provide numerous tools,
sources of information and news about civil society and the UN that are
designed, as much to inform you about the UN’s work, and as much as to
highlight and facilitate civil society contribution to the UN’s development
goals. We look forward to reinforcing our partnership with civil society in
order to deliver on our global commitments. To that end, I very much look
forward to your suggestions, feedback and recommendations on the use of this
portal and the way forward.

Yours sincerely,

Sha Zukang
Under-Secretary-General
Department of Economic and Social Affairs
United Nations