Re: Portable XY

  • From: Carl Distefano <cld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 20:55:40 -0400

Reply to note from Fred Weiner <fw1948@xxxxxxxxx> Sun, 24 Jun 2012
14:42:50 -0700

Fred:

> Question: is there a way to make that, and other sections in
> the registry truly portable? Should I assume that <<PV01>> is
> transitory?

Yes, the PV01 in STARTUP.INT is transitory, as it is in any program.
And, yes, of course you can make XYWWWEB.REG portable.

If you want Editor's path, or any other value, to persist in memory
after a program terminates, you've got to assign it to a Save/Get in
the "permanent" range, 100-1999, or to an "ordinary" S/G (A-Z,0-9).
(Some of the numerical ranges are reserved for various stated uses
(the Jumbo U2 has laid claim to 600-799), but, in general, S/Gs in
the range 100-999 are available to users. For my personal purposes,
I use S/Gs in range 300-399; in particular, I use 302 to store the
directory that contains EDITOR.EXE. To make this assignment on
startup, include the following line in STARTUP.INT (substitute
permanent S/G of your choice):

<SX302,<VA$PA>>;*;

This assumes, of course, that STARTUP.INT hasn't CD'd away from
EDITOR's directory; insert the line before any CD command.

Once you have the directory name in 302 (or whatever), then in
XYWWWEB.REG  you'd use it like this:

(1)
DOCS=<VA@302>+"\DOCS"
or
(2)
DOCS=<SX99,<IS302>+"\DOCS">>

NOT:
(3)
DOCS=<PV302>\DOCS
or
(4)
DOCS=<IS302>+"\DOCS"

Read HELP REGEDIT to see why (1) and (2) above work, while (3) and
(4) do not. Basically, the rule for the Registry assignments is that
you can use plain text, or "bare" VAs, or VAs concatenated with
quoted text (as in (1) above); anything other expression requiring
evaluation must be saved to S/G 99.

Hope this helps.

--
Carl Distefano