Re: OT "...greatest keyboard(s)..."

  • From: Harry Binswanger <hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:25:43 -0400

Maben,

Yes, I'm sure--I got the syntax from AHK Help and I tested it on my system. The pound sign is the symbol used to indicate the Win key has been struck--e.g.,

#A::Send Winkey-A has been struck

But that's for when you have a Win key. Thank of # as meaning ScanCode 15B (which is what it is, in hex I think). You have no key that outputs 15B. So you want to assign some other key (e.g., right-control) to output that.

The correct instruction will work regardless of your keyboard, because the whole point of it is to reinterpret *whatever* your kbd puts out.

To get things working right, you should use AHK's "keyhistory" function to look at what is actually being sent and received, at the scancode level. Assign keyhistory to some keystroke. I use ctrl-alt-k:

^!k::keyhistory

The keyhistory window is rather awkward and technical, but if you scroll up to the headings of each column, you should be able to get valuable info from it. (In referring to its output, note that it distinguishes key-down and key-up).

Let me know if you have problems (you could send me your AHK script for debugging here if you wish).

Regards,
Harry

  Harry:

  I'm familiar with Autohotkey.  I've been using it to autocorrect and do
  other things for some time now.

  I tried your suggestion, but it does not work for me on my Microsoft
  "bells and whistles" keyboard with a Win Key.  Are you sure about the
  command RCtrl::Lwin.  What works for me is RCtrl::#h, which calls up a
  feature of the Autohotkey "autocorrect" file.  If I remove the "h", I
  get a message to the effect that a command is missing, and if I use
  your suggestion above, I get the same message.  Isn't the symbol # the
  trigger for the Win key?

  But more importantly, none of these commands work when I use the IBM
  (Model M) keyboard.  Remember that there is no Win key on the Model M.
  So when one executes the Autohotkey command RCtrl::(whatever), one
  is not going to get any sort of action.  Would this not suggest that
  what has to be edited is the Regedit file?

  MWP

--------------------------------------
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Harry Binswanger wrote:

Get the great macro program AutoHotkey. It's free here:
http://www.autohotkey.com/

Download and install it. After lauching it, you'll see an icon in your Tray that looks like a white H on a green background. Right-click on it, then choose "Edit This Script." That will bring up, in Notepad, the current (default) script, a file ending in .AHK. To that script, add this line at the bottom (or make it the only line in the script--your choice):

RCtrl::LWin

That will make your right Ctrl key function as the left Win key (alternative assignments are your option).

To make it take effect, the first time, after you've saved the altered .AHK script, right click on the AutoHotkey icon in the Tray and choose "Reload This Script."

That should do it. Test it by doing RCtrl (held down) d. That should minimize all open programs (the equivalent of Winkey+d. Doing that again will make them all un-minimize.

Put a link to Autohotkey.exe into your Startup folder, and it will load every time you boot up (let me know if you need help on how to do that).

Once you get comfortable with AutoHotkey, you'll want to use all sorts of Macros with it--the simplest being things like:

F2::Send M.W. Poirer
F3::Send poirmw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

AutoHotkey is one killer-app.

  Speaking of the IBM Model M, I have such a keyboard.  I recently retired
  it because of its lack of a Windows key.  Is there a way of remapping the
  right Alt key on the Model M so as to convert it to a Win key?  Or am I
  just completely off the mark with this question?  Of course, I don'td
  claim to know much about computers.

  M.W. Poirier

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx