[xcclub] Bronze Lecture Saturday

  • From: Tim Robson <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Shalbourne <shalbourne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xcclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:39:53 +0100

XCclub List

Sorry, didn't move fast enough...

I'm giving the Saturday Bronze lecture on Saturday, I am also Duty instructor...

Lecture shall comprise:

6. Navigation 2 - practical cross country flying

Syllabus: Speed to fly, glide calculations, visibility of ground features, maps, field selection, preparation for a navigational exercise.

Aim: The student will acquire the requisite knowledge for the safe and expeditious conduct of a cross-country flight in a glider.

Specifically the student should be able to:

· Interpret speed to fly data from a polar curve and relate it to the MacReady cursor,
·  mentally approximate the glide distance from any given height,
· describe the techniques and considerations for selecting, preparing, marking-up and using maps for cross-country navigation, · describe the difference in appearance of visual features under varying flight conditions, · describe approximation of position, ‘dead reckoning’ methods of navigation and actions when lost,
·  describe procedures for use when uncertain of position,
·  identify likely sources of ‘lift’ and describe techniques for their optimal
use,
· list the factors to be considered when preparing for a field landing, including identifying wind direction and effects of obstructions on field boundaries, · prepare a cross-country flight plan taking into consideration such factors as local weather conditions, airspace, condition of fields, NOTAMs, TNWs, etc.

Flying shall start EARLY, I shall be on site at or about 08:30 complete with NOTAMs, I should greatly appreciate not being lonely! I should also greatly appreciate it if someone would bring the wherewithal to stock the bus as it is likely to be hot and I get VERY grumpy if I don't drink regularly and eat well.

                                Tim.
To post send a message to Mailto:xcclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:Subscribe