[x500standard] Re: Trust anchor information

  • From: DP-Security-Consulting <dp.sec.consulting@xxxxxxx>
  • To: x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 15:58:45 +0200

Carl,

Your arguments do not demonstrate that what I say is inaccurate. I am only speaking of the third choice, i.e. TrustAnchorInfo.
You provide no argument for the third choice.

Denis

Inline...

From: DP-Security-Consulting <dp.sec.consulting@xxxxxxx <mailto:dp.sec.consulting@xxxxxxx>>
Date: Monday, April 7, 2014 at 9:15 AM
To: <x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [x500standard] Re: Trust anchor information

    Remember that when the third odd format was proposed, I asked for
    changes but at that time the response was
    that it had already be implemented and thus no change was possible.

This is inaccurate. RFC 5914 changed in several ways during its progression through PKIX. First, the "third odd format" was not "third". Initially, it was the only item (and was included in the TAMP specification, not a standalone specification). The TrustAnchorChoice structure evolved to include an untagged Certificate as one option (preserving backwards compatibility with the use of certificates as TAs) and TBSCertificate as another option. The TBSCertificate option was added to allow reuse of parsing code, however, this is not useful for validation as essentially all validation libraries require a certificate. To use this option, you'd need to generate a fake signature to use the structure with most validation libraries. Thus, in order to express constraints, using the TrustAnchorInfo structure to wrap certificates is preferred. When used with RFC5937, the constraints from the TrustAnchorInfo structure are processed and used to set the standard inputs to the path validation algorithm. The certificate can be extracted and passed into existing libraries. RFC5914 and RFC5937 work nicely as a thin wrapper around existing path validation libraries that accept the standard validation algorithm inputs.