[x500standard] Re: Defect on definition of trust anchor, etc.

  • From: David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 19:10:56 +0100

Hi David

Kemp, David P. wrote:
I absolutely agree at the conceptual level.  But as with OIDs, once one
has been assigned, its definition should not be changed.  I believe
Trust Anchor has a preponderance of evidence (after filtering out the
noise) in favor of the data definition.

I cant comment on this. Others with more experience will need to.

 (Perhaps I am influenced by
long exposure to "trust anchor management" -

well that term is quite ambiguous, since it could mean managing the information about trust anchors, or it could mean deciding which trust anchors you trust.

 I manage what I can
control, such as the trust store on the devices for which I am
responsible.  I cannot manage my suppliers, I can only decide whether or
not to accept them.)

But you can manage which ones you trust.

A new term, such as "Trust Anchor Organization", "Trusted Authority" or
the like, should be established to refer to the organization.

this will be needed if the majority of people think that trust anchor refers to the information and not to the entity

regards

David

Dave