[wkars-members] Feedback on the Fox Hunt

  • From: Allan Wyatt <allan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 08:56:39 +0100

G8LSD

I had a Yaesu FT-790 to an HB9CV. The HB9CV two element is rated to have the performance of a three element Yagi. The antenna is mounted on a wooden boom with elements vertical part way along the boom is a wooden handle and at the end is a cork holder for my Silva sighting compass.

I had prepared a map by printing sections of Google maps, at the 100 metre scale, and patching them together to give a map 2km around our chosen centre point. The map was mounted on card with a centre hinge.

The first bearing was very broad but by watching the S meter dip at either end and halving the angle I did get a bearing. With hindsight it was about 15 degrees out. I was at the Garden Centre by the railway bridge on the A26. I then parked on Mt Ephraim for the rest of the night on foot.

The next reading gave no directional information. The 30 second transmission was not long enough to change to USB or CW to detune and reduce the signal. With the 790 there is no option for third harmonic or image reception. I have no attenuators or RF gain control. Holding the antenna and map whilst panning and holding the rig was too much to be fun and kneeling down to plot a bearing would have been difficult if I had a bearing to use.

I then did not hear any transmission for some time. The problem was that the cloth case holding the rig was on a shoulder strap that was too long. The result was the tuning knob rubbed on clothing and reset the frequency. Also the ear bud kept falling out of my ear - solution put both ear buds into ears.

I walked up to the Job Centre to get a reading. This suggested the lower end of Camden Road. I guessed this was a false reading and walked down the hill as Keith had given a clue about hearing a clock strike eight.

No directional information came from further readings. I walked round the town centre looking for the fox visually - no luck.

I then walked to the station as it also has a clock and by now Keith had mentioned trains.

This was by know not a true Fox Hunt as the bearings were not helpful. The signal strength suggested that I was in the right area. The best signal I had was by the Great Hall car park. I then looked by the Elizabethan Barn restaurant and other side streets. No Luck.

I walked to the station and checked the cars. It was now quite dark and I was going to investigate the car park above Morrisons but there were a number of Youths on the stairs to the car park and I was not going to try and pass them with all my equipment. I sat outside the store and tried a last bearing. Nothing directional. By know I was tired and my left hip was hurting. The decision was made to walk back to the car. I climbed the hill to the traffic lights and then back up Church Road to the car.

The night was warm with no wind - ideal. However, by the time I returned to the car I was drenched and my glasses steamed up. Very good exercise but I was worn out and disappointed that the Fox Hunt had become less of a triangulation exercise and more of a walk and guess.

Verdict - we need to rethink this one.

Allan

--
Allan Wyatt