[wkars-announce] What's at steak tonight? West Kent's answer to Top Gear! 8pm V30 2metres FM, but not on the BBC... [ corrected channel number! ]

  • From: secretary@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wkars-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 13:31:44 +0000

After a long day out in the field running radio stations, we all like to get
back to the canteen for a really good hot meal, and the operators of  Licensed
Non-Commercial Radio Stations, LINCRAD stations, are no exception.  Neither,
indeed, is Jeremy Clarkson.

Just like Jeremy C's hotel, I’m unable to offer everyone, or indeed anyone, a
steak tonight.  However, the good news is that you can provide yourself with
very own hot meal before joining us at 8pm, sure in the knowledge that nobody
will be fired for wanting to eat after working all day!  So get those munchies
out of the way, and join us at:

8pm, V30, 145.375 MHz FM simplex.

In celebration of the top-gear theme, I suggest we talk about, say:
        FT101 conkers using G5RVs to swing them at each other.  Full or
half-size, depending on the location;
        Launching a KW2000a into orbit for a retro-satellite station, with or
without PSU/Speaker unit;
        Ski-jumping riding a rudimentary sledge made entirely of Baofeng
portable radios;

        And, with our incognito star master radio operator[1] at the mic, , a
UKAC face-off for:
                “Which VHF/UHF radio gives the highest rate of contacts around
a UKAC evening contest!”

                Note 1 … some say he sleeps on a bed made entirely of SO239
connectors, and that all his shoes are fitted with earthing straps.  All I
know, is that he’s called ‘The JEDi’!

See you tonight!

Radio settings for the less experienced operators:

        Narrow deviation (for 12.5kHz spacing),
        no CTCSS encode or decode.
        Squelch as low as you can, perhaps switch off if you cannot hear other
stations.
        Vertical polarisation if possible,
        beam towards Tunbridge Wells if you have a beam.
        No beam or fixed antenna?  get on a hill with your handy or mobile, try
to get line of sight.
        As much power as you can to begin with, then back-off to the minimum
required.

Procedure:  net controller, usually Keith G4JED will manage the running order.
Pass around to the next station, if you’re not sure who, then back to Keith.
Try to keep an eye out for signal levels, and provide a report to the other
stations, they are always appreciated.

Mark G8PHM - Secretary West Kent ARS
secretary@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:secretary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

<//www.freelists.org/list/wkars-announce>