[Wittrs] three voices of wittgenstein

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 08:22:01 -0700 (PDT)

... forwarding this:
================
From: George Wrisley <gwrisley3@xxxxxxxxx>
To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't believe David G. Stern mentions Shawver, but Stern does have a three
voices approach to Wittgenstein in the Investigations. Stern's book is
here<http://www.amazon.com/Wittgensteins-Philosophical-Investigations-Introduction-Introductions/dp/0521814421/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303731416&sr=1-2>.
And here is what I wrote in my short review of it:
Another helpful thing that Stern does is to distinguish between three
different voices in the Investigations as opposed to the usual two, namely,
Wittgenstein and his interlocutor. Stern argues that there is Wittgenstein's
narrator, an interlocutory voice, and a third voice, a commentator, who
"provides an ironic commentary on [the exchanges of the narrator and
interlocutory voice], a commentary consisting partly of objections to
assumptions the debaters take for granted, and partly of platitudes about
language and everyday life they have both overlooked" (Stern, 2004, p22).
According to Stern, none of the voices can unproblematically be taken as
Wittgenstein's own, though what he calls the narrator and the commentator
voices are typically taken by other writers to express Wittgenstein's own
views (by contrast, Stern understands the commentator to come closest to
Wittgenstein's own views) (Stern, 2004, pp.22-23).

I hope this helps.

Best,

George