[Wittrs] Re: [quickphilosophy] Fodor on Concepts I: The set-up

  • From: Ron Allen <wavelets@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:10:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Walter:

For Fodor, how do we arrive at concepts? And what exactly does it mean to think
about a DOG as such?

For example, suppose I ask Fodor to think about a dieseldown. What does he do
when thinking about a dieseldown as such?

Descartes believed in innate ideas. Indeed, those things learned by
acquaintance and learned by description through experience were deemed quite
inferior indeed to such innate concepts such as God, and goodness, and clarity.
If Fodor does not himself resort to innateness in order to explain at least
some concept acquisition, then what exactly is the source of the concepts we
contemplate as such? Does Fodor not come back to some sort of epistemic basis
for the concept acquisition? I would hesitate before ascribing this kind of
concept possession to Hume, though. Certainly, Locke does not buy it for a
second.

I like the cheekiness of the article, and I wish I could have been at the Smart
lecture back then. Prof. Fodor must be quite an entertaining lecturer. The most
entertaining lecturers at Berkeley that I remember were Searle and
Scriven. Their classes were always packed, but I never knew of anyone getting
an 'A' in one of Scriven's classes. There, the intellectual thrills came at a
steep price to your GPA. Ha!

Thanks!
--Ron