[Wittrs] Re: "free will" versus "willing to be free"

  • From: "walto" <walterhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:39:06 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kirby urner <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> That tends to be an insipid not-question entertained by nerds with
> too much free time on their hands, thinkers of no consequence
> who had enough money and privilege to stay out of harm's way
> in some cloistered environment>

Many activists would say the same about internet posting (or indeed
philosophical speculation/argumentation) generally--however the pundit comes
down on free will...or anything else.  One could always be doing something more
important, no?

Anyhow, I don't think the claim that arguing for P is a waste of precious time,
is much of an argument for arguing that not-P. And, FWIW, I agree with SWM that
mixing these political questions with the hoary philosophical question is
largely a category mistake.  That no tyrant (governmental, corporate, or
otherwise) is stopping me from lifting my arm right now is completely
irrelevant. It's reminiscent of Johnson's kicking a rock to refute Berkeley.