[Wittrs] case study: anthropology laughing at economics (footnote to philosophers)

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wittgenstein's Aftermath" <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 23:50:43 -0700

I've just started reading 'Debt: the First 5000 Years'.

What's interesting from a Wittgensteinian point of view is the
author's somewhat mocking tone towards what he considers foundational
mythology in the discipline known as "economics" among Anglophones and
fellow travelers.

That reminded me how kind-of-like Wittgenstein's pseudo-anthropology
(Gedankenexperiments) were these myths, their both having an
anthropological flavor, anthropology being an emerging discipline at
the time -- witness Wittgenstein seeing fit to remark on Frazer far
more than Freud, though one could argue his admiration for the later
was much greater than for the former.

This idea that money derives from people running up against the limits
of barter, where George needs shoes but Frank doesn't really need
potatoes (as if primitive peoples were too daft to think of the
obvious solution:   money if you please, or debit cards as it were).
Did this world of "pure barter" ever exist?

More data:

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2013/03/quaker-mens-group-2013.html
(towards the bottom)

Kirby