Re: [Wittrs] more pondering on "(Over)interpreting Wittgenstein"

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wittgenstein's Aftermath" <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 17:12:34 -0700

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 5:30 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Book cover (in the field):
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/6830344528/in/photostream
>
> I continue to work my way through this road map of Biletzki's.  It's
> like a guidebook to the world of Wittgenstein interpretations, and
> cries out for visual diagrams, ala 'Maps of the Mind' by
> Hampden-Turner.

So what does Biletzki think of he Kimberly Cornish speculative science fiction.

Here's what I wrote to Alex (cc Suzanne):

"""
Anat Biletzki pronounces 'Jew of Linz' cheap speculative gossip mas o meno.

I'm more inclined to use Tara's word "sketchy" but still with some appreciation.
"""

Tara is my daughter, last over at Alex's to meet a Nepalese guy who'd
been attending Earlham, a Quaker college.

Alex, for those joining us, stocked my "time capsule" (art deco
shelves) with a large collection of Wittgenstein books, to which I've
been slowly adding.

That pilot I was sketching for the BBC, wherein we used Cornish as a
consultant, as being cast as flashback like episodes in the mind of
one Whitney, a social engineer for Facebook, clambering over the
Oregon high deserts near Prineville, wondering if she might be losing
it.

That way I'm not bound to some literal truth and can play up the
somewhat Wagnering superhero comic book mythos Cornish stirs up, with
WIttgenstein and Hitler arch enemies from the school yard, old recess
foes.

There's sort of a Holmes versus Moriarty flavor, but then with Cornish
undercutting our hero by making fun of his stutter and suggesting
heroics against the Fascists in Spain was somehow wimping out on His
and/or Her Majesty.

I could never follow this twist, just flagged it as where he and I
would apparently part company.  Leave him to his "Special Branch" (not
saying he gets Le Carre though -- and I'm keeping Norman O. Brown,
Julia Child, other OSS).

Still, I think Logicomix already does a good job around Russell and
its time to veer more into Otto Weinenger territory.

We don't have to resolve Whitney's confusion about whether she's a
reincarnation or even believes in that.  An aspect of surrealist
television, tracing to 'Lost' and some others, is the metaphysics are
not permitted to gel -- not enough rules are given (or too many are
broken?) to let a cosmology / weltanschauung solidify -- and that's
OK.

Against such a fragmented backdrop a story gets told.  It's still good
television.

We flash back as if to the days of Titanic, and stand by the graveside
with Wittgenstein's sister, in the rain, as dear Otto is lowered to
his grave **.  I'd give it all a somewhat gothic tinge -- tempting to
give his sister a nose ring (shades of Portlandia).  Maybe Whitney can
have one.

http://bit.ly/xfEgsq  (Titanic, Wittgenstein, Weinenger)

http://wittgensteininskjolden.blogspot.com/2009/03/wittgenstein-in-skjolden-personality.html

Kirby

** there's some thought Hermine Wittgenstein was at Otto's funeral and
might have taken her younger brother.  In any case, it's known that
they corresponded about his writings.  I've come to see him as a young
"shock jock".  Today, Otto might have had his own radio program.