Re: [Wittrs] On Christmas Trees, Metaphysics and Law

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 08:12:06 -0700

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:02 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<< snip >>

> Wittgenstein talks about "showing" but that doesn't preclude
> "showing by doing".  I went to war, helped in hospitals, live alone
> in a hut in Norway.  Those might be important practices in philosophy
> as he lived it.  If I see someone just living the life of a professor in
> a university, I can say:  whatever they are, they are not a philosopher
> in the sense Wittgenstein was, what could be more obvious?

"He went to war"... I said "I" which looks like one of those Freudian slips.

As a long time Freudian, I wouldn't deny it.

Quakers are permitted to use war metaphors.  "Outward weapons" are
what's despised meaning "inward weapons" must be OK, but what are
those.

It's a similar lingo to "jihad" (meant spiritually / inwardly) and so Lambs War.

"Speak Truth to Power" by Bayard Rustin & Co. has some links to
"jihad" as well -- a lot of my links have worn away over the years
(the Web is like water in that way).

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2006/02/jihad.html

Kirby