[Wittrs] Wittgenstein & Wealth

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 23:32:02 -0700 (PDT)

... article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/apr/26/ludwig-wittgenstein-philosopher-profile

I was not aware that Wittgenstein gave much of his fortune away to "penniless
poets and artists." I was under the impression he gave the lot of it away to
his family. He wouldn't give it to the poor, because he felt they would be
corrupted by it, too.  (An amazing sentiment).

I wonder how many people have actually rejected great wealth? I don't mean
making nice contributions or leaving everything at death. I mean, ACTUALLY
rejecting it. Jesus, of course, only talked about it. Socrates was only from
the ordinary classes, I believe.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor