[Wittrs] Re: Variations in the Idea of Consciousness

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 05:40:09 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrstern" <jrstern@...> wrote:

> Isn't this the negative of the fallacy of composition?

> One block is not a pair, therefore two blocks cannot be a pair?

Are you implying that there is something wrong with "one plus one
equals two"?

> I do not mean to trigger a discussion of emergence, but do we really
> need emergence to uncover all the mysteries of pair-ness?

Whatever might emerge from an assembly of particles usually does  not
emerge by virtue of it being an assembly.  Typically, something  else is
going on.

> Anyway I was taught somewhere in grade school, that intuition is
> not a valid argument, most especially in scientific matters.

I was not claiming that as an argument.  I was only using it as a
plausible explanation.

Regards,
Neil