[Wittrs] The Tractarian vs. the Author of the Philosophical Investigations

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:14:24 -0000

So what's been gained from this exercise of combing closely throught the
Tractatus? I don't know what the feedback was on the other site where this
discussion has been conducted, but I found it interesting to read along,
especially some of the commments.

And yet I am struck anew by just how radically the later Wittgenstein, as
exemplified in works like the Philosophical Investigations and On Certainty,
differs from his earlier incarnation. While I would agree with those here who
have insisted that many of his concerns and even the direction of his thinking
(what he comes up with) do not seem radically divergent, still his results most
certainly do. Again and again, while reading along, I am struck by how much I
think the later Wittgenstein would have challenged and dismissed the ideas of
his younger self if he had encountered them in a student of his during his
years teaching his later philosophy at Cambridge. A few examples below: