[Wittrs] Searle at Simply Wittgenstein

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 21:35:22 -0700 (PDT)

... here is Searle on Wittgenstein in what appears to be an exclusive interview
for Simply Wittgenstein:
http://simplycharly.com/wittgenstein/john_searle_interview.php

Although he makes some interesting and thoughtful remarks, we come to the point
in the interview where Searle shows us why he could never be regarded in a
serious conversation as being one of America's greatest philosophic minds. In
fact, the below quote seems to evidence that he is challenged by the notion of
what the greatest ideas might have been:
"Wittgenstein was a very great philosopher, but he is not in the same class
with the people I mentioned [Aristotle, Plato and Kant]. For example, his work
is not comprehensive in the way that most of the great giants of the past were.
He has very little to say about ethics and political philosophy, for example."

I don't mind Searle in other respects. Thought his Chinese Room argument was
worthwhile. But his assessment of the relative worth of Wittgenstein's ideas is
only greater evidence of certain traits in himself that may be lacking.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
[spoiler]Assistant Professor
Wright State University