[Wittrs] Richter on Sophie Scholl

  • From: WittrFeed <wittrsfeed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wittrsfeed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrsfeed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:40:55 -0700 (PDT)

... I enjoyed this move very much as well. --sw.

language goes on holiday
language goes on holiday

________________________________

Sophie Scholl
Clive James calls Sophie Scholl something like the best human being since Jesus
Christ, which is ridiculous but also hard to argue with. The film named after
her is surprisingly worth watching, I thought. Surprising because you might
expect it to be both boringly predictable and depressing. But it isn't really
either, at least not as much I had feared. The general story goes as you would
expect (one young woman does not bring down the Nazi government), but the
details were sufficiently unknown to me for me to be able to wonder would she
be arrested for this act?, would she be let go this time?, would she stick to
her story here or admit the truth?, etc. And as the answers to such questions
are revealed you see someone decide to stand up for the truth and what is
right. She is not presented as a holy will who can do no wrong. She is a human
being who will not go along with the human-faced evil that is literally (in the
form of her interrogator) staring
 her in the face. And this is not depressing but inspiring.