[Wittrs] Reply to Sean on Policy, Searle and Witt.

  • From: "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:16:26 -0000

--- In WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@...> wrote:

> Budd:
>
> On the matter of the quoting policy, the rule is only for the benefit of the
> discussion board. Because of the way I have configured this group, people
> read it in different venues. If we were just an email group, leaving the
> message would be fine. But it makes it difficult for 3rd parties who stop by
> to read the message board.
>
> Take a look at the first 3 messages in this
> thread: http://seanwilson.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1844&start=0&S=9559940f1b71186aaa8f207f8432cfe2
>
> Compare it now to this thread:
> http://seanwilson.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=977&start=0&S=9559940f1b71186aaa8f207f8432cfe2
>
> If you were a visitor and had clicked one of the two threads, reading the
> first 3 of the first would be very easy. If you think about it, books and
> essays and letters, etc., don't use the telephone-conversation format. It's
> because it makes things easier for people not participating in the discussion
> to read. That's the key. Are you just talking to Stuart or are you trying to
> leave ideas that someone else might benefit from consuming? The discussion
> board is concerned with the latter.

Thanks, Sean.  I didn't have too much trouble with either thread, though I see
what you mean.  If one sees that someone signed off, me for example, one
needn't bother being bothered by whatever was written below unless they wanted
to.  I assume that all posts are fair game for anybody; I also see that
Searle's writings, for one reason or another, are not seen as excellent
extensions and clarifications of the best that Wittgenstein had to offer.  The
difference is that Searle's books are easier to digest in terms of
understanding all the points considered.  I wonder if there is anything truly
important in Wittgenstein that Searle never took up.  That would be a learning
experience for me and is partly why I tried to engage Stuart here, hoping that
someone else may respond as well.

Cheers,
Budd