[Wittrs] Regarding Eliminating Very Abstract and Very Applied Fields

  • From: Osher Doctorow <mdoctorow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CHORA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:57:22 -0400

Steve Bayne on PHILOS-L ("Even mathematics...,") pointed out that philosophy
and pure mathematics have inverse or opposite problems regarding the tendency
to eliminate them by some universities.  He also pointed out that there are
other good universities in the USA resisting pressure from outside besides
Princeton U.  Actually, the Princeton Institute for Advanced Study is
independent of Princeton U., although for a long time it was located on the
same campus as Princeton U., and now is in a separate location.  I will make a
separate comment on each of these.

1. "Pure" mathematics is often regarded as too abstract and "non-applied (to
the real world)," while according to Steve Bayne philosophy (in my rough
language) is sometimes regarded as being "too applied" and lacking distinct
concepts or machinery or theory of its own. There seem to be various types of
researchers and teachers: those who prefer the abstract non-applied, those who
prefer the abstract applied, those who prefer the non-abstract non-applied, and
those who prefer the non-abstract applied.  Here "applied" is used for "solving
problems of human life" or something analogous to that.  I suspect that a
"practical" solution to sustain departments might be to adopt my own preference
of abstract and/or non-abstract and/or applied and/or non-applied with
considerable emphasis on all of the above.  Of course, the previous statement
is equivalent to "everything", but the idea is to not leave out any of the
alternatives and considerably emphasise all of them.

2. Generalisations about universities almost always ignore geniuses and
near-geniuses who are isolated (or alone) in their departments or even two or
three such people in a particular department.   A student or even researcher
should not hesitate to attend such universities if he/she can work under such
geniuses or near-geniuses - except if the mediocre or imitative pressures are
too high.  In quantitative fields of all types in the USA, there are regional
tendencies for the most Inventive universities in research based on papers
since 1991 online in arXiv and Front for the Mathematics ArXiv, the best States
being Texas, Virginia, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, North Carolina, Missouri,
Massachussetts, New Jersey, California.  There are, however, some States with
several geniuses in a particular quantitative department, including Illinois
and New York.

Cheers,

Osher Doctorow

Messages to the list will be archived at
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/chora.html