[Wittrs] Re: Readings in Martian Math (2010.8.26)

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:14:01 -0700

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 10:46 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Wittrs] Re: [C] Readings in Martian Math (2010.8.26)
>

> Dr. Haack seemed to be registering concern that "analytic
> philosophy" was on life-support, with doctors poised to
> pull the plug on their comatose patient.  We didn't get
> into the ethics of this.  Her main focus is science as an
> independent search for truth, and as a puppet of moneyed
> interests that sometimes sells out, publishes a lot of
> corrupt stuff that a philosophy with background is of
> necessity vigilant against.  Michael Crichton's 'State of

Meant to say "a philosophy with backbone"...

> Fear' is a similar analysis, especially if you read the
> Appendix, which starts getting more into Edwin Black
> territory more (as do I, in my high school level intro
> to SQL, in the same lineage as Hollerith technology).

Global Climate Change (GCC) and Intelligent Design are two
of the memes Terry has capitalized on, as their both hot buttons
and he's a master of getting his esoteric Greek stuff insinuated
between the lines of popular culture debates -- part of why
ISEPP has been so successful?  Has any other entity on
the planet produced such a line-up of speakers.  TED Talks
has come later and is doing a better job with Internet streaming.
That's always our dream, but we haven't found our big sponsor
yet.  I've proposed a certain European company come in and
take over,  give Terry an emeritus position and encourage him
to keep organizing the lecture series.

But then I've been trying to get Japanese anime to focus on
themes Buckyesque (including Martian Math) to little avail so
far.  Here's a link that might help me? just in:
http://www.i-domehouse.com/index.html  (more Global U
campus housing options).

[ also, the exchange student I mentioned has been to Japan
(as have I), and we've hosted a Japanese student in the past
-- every little bit helps (consider Pauling's brave stand at
Cal Tech, trying to counter both McCarthyism and racism
-- our own Doug Strain, his student, founder of Electroscientific
Instruments, considered Pauling a great hero)].

Our local science museum is hosting a traveling exhibit
on Albert Einstein by the way (in which Pauling is mentioned).
Did you know the FBI was always spying on the guy?
The exhibits includes excerpts from his file.  He was also
offered the position of President of Israel, which I hadn't
realized.  Amazing what history one might learn at a science
museum.  The ones in Germany were likewise enlightening.

Kirby