[Wittrs] !!!Re: Re: Metaphysical Versus Mystical

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:55:57 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@...> wrote:

> > 3. "God has unicorns in heaven." This is seemingly NOT nonsense.
> > It is simply unspeakable.
>
> Yet you have just written that sentence.  And if it can be
> written, it can be spoken.  Therefore it cannot be unspeakable.

H.P. Lovecraft is the most famous practitioner of the unspeakable - his horrors
were commonly described as unspeakable, indescribable.

Was it Wittgenstein (Googling ... no) make that Ramsey who said, what
we can't say, we can't say, and we can't whistle it, either.

Sean is mixing up the unspeakable facts with speakable sentences.

... though I suspect most of those "facts" are phenomenal, or abstract
properties of beauty or horror that invoke qualia that no words seem to
capture, and need be no more (or less) mysterious than
a pretty flower or a nice sunset.

And people are always going on about the truth of sentences, as if the true
sentence should be written in gold and the untrue sentence burried under a
rock, the better to teach those sentences to behave themselves.

Josh